Thursday, February 18, 2010

Quick Block of Healthy Reflections:


 
For sound sleep, no pillow is as soft as a clean conscience.
- Anonymous

Are you getting the best night's sleep possible?
Many people have difficulty getting a good night's rest. Sleep plays a crucial role in your health and well-being. Often we lose sleep because our minds are preoccupied with going over the day's events or planning for future ones. If you have problems sleeping, try creating a journal. Write out your worries and fears about what is happening in your life. Are you considering a career change? Are your in-laws coming for a visit? Do you have a strained relationship with someone? Allow your thoughts to flow out honestly to better prepare for a good night's rest.


**My Contribution to this**  Remember that Early to bed, Early to Rise makes the man healthy, wealthy, and wise.  Typically I do not journal in a written journal anymore, but Leaving everything by my bedside at night and just clearing out the brain - well, that's been really helpful.  I love to sleep. I used to LIVE to sleep.. but not since I've found a love for the exercise.  

 
A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight.
- V. Borge

The power of a positive face
Have you ever contemplated how much a smile can change a person's day? Both the person who smiles and the one who sees it are positively impacted by such a small act. This seemingly tiny reflex can perk up a bad attitude, make you seem more warm and inviting, and often pass some happiness on to others. So the next time your alarm goes off for your 5 a.m. run or your dog barks in the middle of the night, smile instead of grumbling. You'd be surprised how a positive face can in turn become a positive and motivational attitude!


**My Contribution to this** It Works!! No really, I'll be having a rotten day at work and lo' a little smile.  A crack of a joke, and I am back to feeling pretty spiffy again.  I can usually let go of a lot of stress with a little joke and a smile.  It's a little harder with the alarm clock - after all, I do LOVE my sleep.

 
Adversity and loss make a man wise. 
- Welsh Proverb

Victory over Trials
The need to weather hard times is constantly part of our business and personal lives. Do you ever think of these hurdles in a positive light? The next time you are faced with opposition, instead of looking at it as a source of anxiety, view it as an opportunity! Can you apply what you have learned to other areas of your life? Will this experience make you stronger and wiser next time around? Sometimes the worst and most painful experiences are the ones that help us grow the most. Having a positive attitude can deflate even the scariest situation. Overcoming adversity can help you achieve the extraordinary!

**My Contribution to this**  Though it's hard to recognize the good in the trial at the time it's occurring, this would be a great skill to enhance for those of us that are a little bit more pessimistic than we really should be.
 
The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own destiny.
- Albert Ellis

Do you accept responsibility for your choices in life?.
Do you feel in control of your life? No matter how negative events or actions may become, you are the only force that is able to determine the reaction. Often we fail to do this and instead blame the world for our feelings of sadness, rejection, and hopelessness. The reality is that your actions are a choice, and you must claim those feelings and choices. We can be our best cheerleader or worst enemy when it comes to determining the health of our emotions. Do some pep talks with yourself each morning. This will help you develop positive, self-affirming thoughts that will enhance your personal development and growth.

**My Contribution to this** - Since joining SparkPeople I do a 5 minute pep talk daily.  This (At first) made me feel like I was pompous, cocky... but after a while I started to realize that the more pep talks I had with myself the better prepared I was to go out and face the world as me.  I am starting to love myself even more - even though the weight changes are taking longer than I would prefer.
 
Don't be fooled by the calendar. There are only as many days in the year as you make use of.
- Charles Richards

Pencil in some face time with yourself
Millions of people use organizers, palm pilots, calendars, personal assistants, sticky notes, and date books to help them manage their busy lives. Do you allow these organizers to rule your life? Do you allow space for personal time? Often we micro-manage our lives and schedule our time so much that it comes at the price of our own freedom. Instead of scheduling another meeting with your co-workers, schedule one with yourself. Make the most of today because tomorrow is never guaranteed.

**My Contribution to this**  I have a planner - but it's slowly becoming more of a "reminder" book - I used to be religious when it came to planning things out and making sure that the schedule was met. Now I am finding that I have more time to myself when I don't plan out everything and just have an idea of how things are to progress.